Thursday, December 11, 2014

Regional Education Bureau English Language Training

After 16 months of working in Ethiopia and whilst in the final 3 weeks of my time here, the budget came through for an English language training that I planned and wrote the proposal for. The training was for the Southern Nations, Nationalities, and Peoples/ Regional Education Bureau staff and it was an absolutely amazing experience for me and from what I heard, for the bureau staff as well. I truly wish that this particular training could have happened within the first few months of my arrival in Hawassa, but there simply wasn't budget for it at that time. I was afforded the opportunity to really get to know my colleagues from other departments in the bureau and I am still in shock over how awesome they are. Truly great people and we had a really fun time. My great friend Tesfahun and I were the instructors while Haileyesus took charge of the behind the scenes work.

Photo: Group 1 Trainees 

Photo: Group 2 Trainees 
The concept behind the training was active learning so we had the participants moving around a lot and learning English through fun and games. It is the same teaching method that I have been promoting in the trainings that I have done here.


Photo: Adjectives lesson

Photo: Giving Directions blind walk

Photo: Listening comprehension shark game.



Photo: Charades competition













The trainees were all great sports and the strong English speakers teamed up with the weaker ones to help them along. Such a good time for everyone. I wish that there was budget for me to have done this training when I first arrived because I really got to know my fellow staff members through the training and it would have been nice to have formed those relationships at the beginning of my time here rather than the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment